In 2008, the Protestant parish council of St. Peter's in Berlin decided to project the new construction of the church at the old location in the historic center of the city. The parish council decided that the new St. Peter's Church to be built should refer to its predecessor buildings and at the same time, through a groundbreaking, innovative design language, provide spiritual impulses for the further revitalization of the center of Berlin. The square was once the heart of medieval Cölln. One of the three main churches of Berlin's old town stood here until 1964. The neo-Gothic church, which H. Strack built here in 1853 as the fourth church, somewhat twisted to the south-west, but on the same site, was not demolished until the 1960s in order to create a parking lot for the GDR Ministry of Construction next to the widened Gertraudenstrasse on the sacred site. As part of their semester project, architecture students from the ETH Zurich Hans Kollhoff took on the design challenge of a church building at a site with a heavy historical burden.